89% of the recent crop of university graduates in Hong Kong, landed a job within three months of graduating.
And most of them (76%) are happy with the job they managed to get.
This is as per a survey by JobsDB, of approximately 760 local graduates in Hong Kong. Here are a few more highlights:
- The average salary for fresh graduates is HK$ 14,685 per month (HK$ 13,413 last year).
- The three most preferred sectors for graduates are accounting, marketing/ advertising/ PR, and the civil services.
- 41% expect to stick with their first job for over three years, as compared to 20% in the previous year. This is most likely a function of the uncertain economic environment.
- Factors that graduates value most in a job, include compensation (27%), ability to pursue/develop their interests (15%), the organisation’s environment/ culture/ reputation (11%), job security (11%) and career development (10%).
- 71% of students were optimistic about their careers.
“The results of the survey speak for themselves. With the right conditions, employers can expect to retain many of their fresh graduates for three years or more,” said Justin Yiu, Hong Kong General Manager at Jobs DB.