JobStreet surveyed 1,400 Singaporean jobseekers and 200 employers, to get some perspectives on why companies hire foreigners for jobs in Singapore.
Here are the highlights and an infographic of the results:
- 66% of local job seekers considered low cost of labour as the reason for hiring foreigners. Only 16% of employers had the same view.
- 40% of employers felt that the flexibility of foreigners to take up jobs in Singapore that locals avoid was the main reason for hire.
- 27% of locals saw value in working with non-Singaporeans. Foreigners were thought to be less demanding at work and better skilled in their area of work compared to Singaporeans.
- 47% of the employers reaffirmed their decision to hire foreigners for jobs in Singapore, citing lower employee turnover rate as the key benefit. Other benefits mentioned include non-Singaporeans having fewer demands at work and being more willing to put in longer hours at work.
Amit is an experienced career, business and HR professional. Previously, he has worked with organisations such as Bain & Company, Morgan Stanley and Citigroup. Amit has advanced degrees/qualifications in Career Counselling, Organisational Psychology & HR, Occupational Psychometrics, Career/Life Coaching & Business.
Latest posts by Amit Puri - Managing Consultant, Sandbox Advisors (see all)
- How timing, breakfast, sleep and exercise affect your decision making - October 13, 2014
- Singapore is facing wage pressures and shortages, in high skill jobs/industries - September 29, 2014
- More job vacancies and less job seekers in Singapore - September 29, 2014