Our workshops are research-based, practical, active and engaging. They are structured to actively engage the students in the learning process and to ensure internalisation of the principles introduced, as well as to encourage independent learning.
Here is an overview of the content covered in our workshops.
CAREER CHOICE AND CHANGE
- Personal profiling: Detailed understanding of life/career aspirations, personality traits, interests, skills, values, work environment preferences, financial goals and practical constraints. This is done using career assessments and structured exercises.
- Short-listing jobs which match the individual’s personal profiling.
- Researching short-listed jobs using primary and secondary sources of information.
- Organising the research.
- Evaluating and scoring career options to arrive at final choice(s).
UNIVERSITY APPLICATIONS AND ADMISSION
- Selecting field of study and universities.
- Using rankings.
- Understanding admission requirements.
- Building a personal brand/profile.
- Organising and presenting the personal profile in an impactful way.
- Personal statements and application essays.
- Timeline and schedules.
- Standardised testing.
- Scholarship and admission interviews.
TRANSITION AND JOB SEARCH STRATEGY
The Job Search Process – Getting an Edge on the Job Search:
- The need to focus and set goals.
- Researching target companies.
- Understanding the recruitment process.
- The three avenues for finding jobs: Job Boards, Employment Agencies, Online/Physical Networking.
- The importance of monitoring and tracking.
Crafting an Impactful Resume:
- The purpose of a Resume.
- Types of Resumes.
- Researching the job target and focusing the Resume.
- Researching oneself and focusing on the job target.
- Developing achievement statements.
- Handling limited work experience.
- Structure and layout of Resumes.
- Language and action statements in Resumes.
- Dealing with the always-asked salary question.
- Crafting an impactful Cover Letter and using it as a marketing tool.
Preparing for Interviews – Getting the Edge on Interviews:
1). Research and Preparation:
- Understanding the different types of interviews and having a strategy for each.
- The 3 interview stages.
- Researching job targets and focusing the preparation.
- Researching oneself, identifying relevant experience and skills, and listing achievements.
2). Managing the Interview Effectively:
- How to answer common interview questions.
- Strategy to answer difficult questions.
- How to handle “liabilities” or “lack of’s”.
- Confidence and the physiology of being interviewed.
- What questions to ask the employer.
3). Handling Logistics:
- Scheduling the interview.
- Asking important pre-interview questions.
- Asking about ‘next steps’ and following-up after the interview.
- The communication process, problems and principles.
- Meeting/group discussion skills.
- Email/Letter writing skills.
- Report writing skills.
- Intercultural communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Oral presentation skills.